Virginia Cancer Specialists (VCS) is dedicated to the highest quality patient care and we strive to provide the best possible experience. As a reminder to you, VCS was selected through a competitive process to participate in a program called The Oncology Care Model (OCM). It is intended to improve the quality of your care and your experience and is sponsored by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. With this in mind, we want to make sure that we have adequately addressed the following topics.
Understanding Cancer Therapy – As a partner in your care, VCS would like to ensure the following topics have adequately been covered:
- Treatment Options – Understanding your choices related to care
- Results and Side Effects – How this treatment will affect your daily life
- Prognosis with/without the treatment, if the disease is not curable
- Likelihood that treatment will cure your cancer
Quality of Life with Treatment – This is important during your journey on a new treatment. With this therapy you can expect:
- That you will be able to continue all normal activities
- That you will have some side effects but should be able to maintain normal activities
- That you will be unable to work but able to perform light duties at home
- That you will be able to perform light duties and will need assistance with self- care
Contacting the Team – To ensure that VCS is meeting your needs, we want you to understand the following:
- How to and when to contact the office and your caregivers
- Feel free to bring a list of questions regarding your care and treatment to your office or clinic visit
- Please ask for clarification if something is not adequately explained to you or a family member
Appointments, Tests and Procedures – We provide cancer care close to your home. However, services may be required at multiple offices/groups/locations/providers. VCS is committed to scheduling care and treatment visits that are convenient to your needs. With this in mind, we strive to ensure that:
- Appointments are convenient
- Tests and procedures are explained
- Results are provided promptly and
- explained to your satisfaction
Managing Symptoms – The following symptoms will be reviewed every visit:
- Pain assessed and plan for control initiated
- Effects of treatment on energy level
- Your emotional needs
Additional Services – Occasionally, your care will require the addition of other services. Some of these services may include home health, medical equipment and/or special supplies. As your care partner, we will assist you in making these arrangements.
Family & Caregivers – VCS understands that your family is important to your care and quality of life. It is our commitment to include them according to your wishes.
Harms and Benefits – Your physician has discussed with you the harms and benefits of your therapy ordered. Attached are detailed descriptions of the drugs you will be receiving and the side effects that could potentially occur. If you have any questions or concerns, please let your Nurse Navigator know.