Genetic Testing and Counseling
At Virginia Cancer Specialists, we provide comprehensive medical care and support services for people diagnosed with cancer or those at a higher risk of developing cancer. Our integrated team comprised of oncologists, genetic counselors, nurse practitioners and nurse specialists have received special training related to inherited cancers and are available to help you understand your level of risk and provide personalized medical recommendations based on personal and/or family history of cancer.
Approximately 5-10% of cancers are inherited. Changes in a particular gene can be passed down from a parent and are associated with a higher lifetime risk of cancer. Features suggestive of hereditary cancer include:
- Any individual diagnosed with cancer prior to age 50
- Any individual who has developed more than one cancer
- Any individual with a rare type of cancer (ovarian, male breast cancer, pancreatic)
- An individual with two or more family members diagnosed with the same cancer
- A family member with an identifiable gene mutation known to increase the risk of cancer
- Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry with a personal or family history of cancer
If you or your family has these features, it is important to review this information with your doctor and to schedule an appointment with our team for a more in depth discussion.
If you are a patient with a Hereditary Risk Assessment scheduled, please fill out these forms prior to your visit.